[time-nuts] The pendulum problem...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 31 18:49:46 UTC 2014

wa1zms at att.net said:
> I think the best I can do is to use the basic design from the article that
> David noted and will have to adjust the clock once a week after winding.

How far off does it drift while you are winding?

I haven't wound a pendulum clock since watching my grandfather (and maybe
helping) when I was a small child.  I think it was basically lift the weight
with one hand and pull down gently on the other end of the chain with the
other hand.  I assume there was ratchet in there.

Is that the way your clock works?  Can you "wind" it a little bit while the
pendulum is swinging and then let go so the weight does its thing when the
pendulum gets to the end?  Repeat ...

------

I assume you are familiar with the Scientific American article from many
years ago.  They put a magnet on the pendulum and used that to kick the
pendulum at the right time.  As well as keeping good time, it also supplied
power so you didn't have to wind it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.