[time-nuts] New NIST Time Code to Boost Reception for Radio-Controlled Clocks

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 01:08:11 UTC 2014

On 5/31/14, 5:48 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> A thousand chips at $1 a chip is a very different thing than a thousand chips at $100 a chip. The next issue might be that they only have them in die form. The issue after that probably is that you really want the version 3 (or 9) chips that actually work with all the modulation schemes. I’ve been down the road with a number of similar chips that took *many* rev’s before they really did what they were intended to do. Many millions of dollars a pass times 3 or 6 passes is an whole different world …..

These days, though, the "per spin" cost is substantially lower, and the
number of spins has been reduced, assuming you're forking out the many
$M /year for the design tools.  I've been given to understand that an RF
ASIC spin in CMOS (which works up to low microwave frequencies) is
around $100k and would get you a wafer of dice.