[time-nuts] Practical considerations making a lab standard with an LTE lite

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 00:45:50 UTC 2014

On 11/23/14, 11:15 AM, Alex Pummer wrote:
> by us  in central California, we get 1kW/h square meter average around
> the year, the south even more, el Cajon will have today +29C° in the
> afternoon  as of 23 of November 2014

I suspect more like the insolation peaks at 1kW/square meter or a bit
more, the average over a day is somewhat less. At JPL we have a weather
station on line that displays this and I don't recall seeing
significantly more than 1000 W/m2.

The nominal average 1.362 kW/sq meter at solar max is at the top of the
atmosphere, and is normal to the incidence.

The surface insolation at the equator when the sun is directly overhead
  is about 1.04 kW/sq meter.

I think you'd get pretty close to that at solar noon in the Summer in
Southern California, which is 32-34 degrees latitude, so at the
solstice, the zenith angle is 10 degrees, and cos(10) is pretty close to 1.

You do pick up some additional insolation from diffuse and scattered
radiation from clouds or haze, but I'm not sure that makes up for the
attenuation due to the same haze.

Some time ago, I calculated that in Los Angeles (34 degrees latitude), a
horizontal flat plate gets about 8-9 kWh/m2/day in summer and about 1-2
kWh/m2/day in winter..   Tilting the collector would help a lot in the
winter (Zenith angle is 56 degrees instead of 10), but there's no making
up for the short days.

Getting back to the time-nuts aspects, there are some charts around that
show the temperature variation as a function of depth, latitude, soil
and season.  I know that for DSN, they went through all kinds of
gyrations to calculate (and measure) this for the optical fiber timing
links between the antennas and the masers.  For small dissipated power
(I doubt your oscillator is going to be putting kilowatts into the soil)
you don't have to go very deep (single digit meters) before the diurnal
variation is down in the 0.1 degree or smaller.  Annual variations are
bigger.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/EarthTemperatures.htm
has a bunch of charts for some unknown latitude (probably mid Atlantic
states, since the data is from Virginia Tech).  They appear to use well
water temperatures as the measurement technique.

A bit more googling found a paper by one G. Florides that refers to the
Kasuda formula.. (the link is hard to cut and paste.. I'm sure if you
google "Florides soil temperature" you'll find it)

and gives this reference
Kasuda, T., and Archenbach, P.R. "Earth Temperature and Thermal
Diffusivity at Selected Stations in the United States", ASHRAE
Transactions, Vol. 71, Part 1, 1965.