[time-nuts] NIST isolation amplifiers

Claudio Girardi claudio.girardi at virgilio.it
Wed Nov 26 18:01:43 UTC 2014

I have built a similar circuit some time ago (from http://www.ke5fx.com/norton.htm ) and did some experiments with different devices to see how the isolation changed. Note that the isolation is limited by the output feed back to the input via two different paths : the device collector-base impedance (Ccb) and the device base-emitter impedance (r_be//Cbe), thru the transformer. It turns out that, since the transformer is inverting (and scaling) the output signal one could add an RC network between collector and base to have the two feedback contributions cancel, achieving a perfect isolation. Without resistors in series with the emitter and/or collector, the overall base-collector impedance should be n times the overall base-emitter impedance to have the two feedback contribution cancel each other (n is the transformer turns ratio, 3 for the circuit in the link). In practice everything is frequency dependent and other terms are contributing to the isolation, but nevertheless 10/15 dB additional isolation are possible. Note that this will lower the input impedance, though.

Enclosed are the measured forward and reverse gain of that circuit with a 2N5109 and a 2N3904 (with lower current) with and without the additional parallel RC network between base and collector; with the 2N3904 you can tweak the network to achieve a null, even if that's not recommended of course; you can see the isolation change a little when the device is warming up...

Regards,
  Claudio