[time-nuts] Measuring frequency rather than tuning crystal

jpbridge at aol.com jpbridge at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 21:30:38 UTC 2015

All I was saying was most modern frequency counters, including my relatively cheap TTi TF930 have closed box calibration - you apply 10MHz as part of the calibration procedure and then it presumably stores constants internally. There is no tuning of the crystal. I think that much higher end counters such as the newer Keysight and Tektronix (rebadged Pendulum) do the same.

It probably doesn't do any thermal calibration, purely frequency scaling at room temperature.

So your proposal for your own set up should work fine.

I wasn't suggesting that it calibrates itself from GPS - but in theory you probably could automate the process but if you had a GPSDO available all the time you might as well just use it as the reference input.

James