[time-nuts] Leap Second results: cheap GPS/1PPS receivers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 2 07:47:41 UTC 2015

dave.martindale at gmail.com said:
> It seems odd that the Garmin receiver got it wrong.  The Garmin GPS-20 and
> -25, which I think are both older than the 18x, get it correct.

I haven't played with the -20 or -25, but I have -18 (no x) as well as -18x.

It's easy to tell the -18 from the -18x just by looking at the timings.  The
-18 timings are reasonably consistent.  The -18x timings have the 100 ms
sawtooth pattern that comes from SiRF chips.

I wouldn't be surprised if the chip inside is actually an SiRF chip and
somebody modified the firmware to use the Garmin packet formats.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.