[time-nuts] Square to sine wave symmetrical conversion

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jul 28 01:16:54 UTC 2015

Hi

Just so this does not get to ghastly confusing for those trying to follow along:

 Vig, John R.; Ferre-Pikal, Eva. S.; Camparo, J. C.; Cutler, L. S.; Maleki, L.; Riley, W. J.; Stein, S. R.; Thomas, C.; Walls, F. L.; White, J. D. (26 March 1999), IEEE Standard Definitions of Physical Quantities for Fundamental Frequency and Time Metrology – Random Instabilities, IEEE, ISBN <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number> 0-7381-1754-4 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0-7381-1754-4>, IEEE Std 1139-1999

On page 2 defines phase noise as:

 ℒ(f)=Sφ(f)/2 where the "phase instability" Sφ(f) is the one-sided spectral density of a signal's phase deviation.

(Yes, that’s a bit of cut and paste from Wikipedia. I believe that their citation is correct.)

Put another way, it’s what a phase noise test set measures (HP 3048 or whatever). It’s also the part of the spectral noise (as opposed to AM noise) that goes up
as 20*log(N) when you multiply the signal’s frequency by N.

Phase jitter and cycle jitter are not the same quantity.

Bob