[time-nuts] Obscure HP T/F instruments in ebay.fr

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:57:05 UTC 2015

This stuff is lovely, but it's enthusiast's equipment, not public or
commercial museums. There's a great computer museum in Paderborn, Germany -
it's owned by the founder of an ATM company. I love that it has, in
Germany, a really good exhibit about Bletchley Park.

There's a pinball machine museum in Arizona (I think). It burnt down
recently. Again, enthusiasts. Entrance money helps keep it going but it
wouldn't exist without the enthusiasts.

Here in the UK, there are steam museums. Probably elsewhere too.

I grabbed a couple of items from that french auction, fast enough that
there was no bidding war. I wish I'd had more  -  I could easily have
outspent myself but I can't move for stuff as it is. I'd be happy to lend
them to a testgear museum but I don't know of one, at least not in the UK.

The nearest thing I can think of is the Whipple Museum of the History of
Science in Cambridge, UK, which has a mixture of medical and scientific
gear - not really commercial testgear. For timenuts, there's also the Royal
Horological Society's museum which includes a speaking clock, but it's more
about timepiece makers than precision. Also the Harrison clock collection
at Greenwich observatory.