[time-nuts] LAN/USB to GP-IB/HP-IP Adapters

Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 05:47:34 UTC 2015

I have successfully used an Agilent 82357B USB adapter - there are plenty
on eBay from Chinese sellers...

I got NI Visa to talk to Agilent, er, Keysight IO Libraries and access a
3456A attached to the 82357B.  That's the simplified version... the 82357B
was on a remote system over a WiFiI link and the Agilent IO Libraries took
care of the details.  It was painful.  Don't try this.  At one point, it
managed to access the wrong device on the remote system!  There was only
the 3456A on GPIB and a 34461A on ethernet, but it got them mixed up.

However, I'm not sure that NI Visa on its own with an NI adapter is less
painful.  It refused to find devices after I accidentally deleted the name
of a serial port in NI Max (double click the name, hit delete, click
somewhere else; easy to do when you are trying to get rid of a phantom COM3
that turned out to be a software modem).  Attempts to refresh the device
list put "Visa Error" in the device list.  Clicking on it gave a useless
message about the configuration being incorrect, but no real way of fixing
the problem.  I'm told uninstalling/reinstalling NI Visa is usually
required.

For under $200, I think I'd go for the NI USB adapter - hopefully it would
come with support.

Good Luck, Orin.