[time-nuts] Effect of EFC noise on phase noise

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Tue Aug 2 10:40:45 UTC 2016

Am 02.08.2016 um 09:14 schrieb Bruce Griffiths:
> Gerhard, please send me the LTspice files,  so I can compare it with  some of my circuits.
> The Groner preamp uses feedback to adjust the dc input at the input (paralleled) FET gate(s) to adjust the dc output to zero.  It uses a small value input coupling capactor with a high value resistor to bias the JFET (parallled BF862's). I had simulated a similar preamp architecture some years before the Groner article.
> I suggested a similar preamp architecture on EEVBlog  but the responses indicated that most of the respondents appear incapable of rational analysis and just regurgitate the conventional approach.
Some remarks:

1. don't get confused from my comments / aide-memoires in the source.

2. The transient simulation will wake up perfectly biased at t=0. If you
want to
see the bias integrator working you must use the .ic statement to set the
integrator capacitor voltage to a start value, typically 0V. We have
discussed
that already in the transformer inrush current thread.

3. The IF3602 is now available from Mouser.
<
http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/InterFET/IF3602/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiJyeWAJl%2f%252bHc05SUFyPikuEx3OzRizeOU%3d

It does not look like the symbol picture there. The price is somewhat
obscene. Paralleling a lot of them
has some aspects of hybris, but at least the simulator does not care.
Also the input capacitance is huge.
2 dozens of BF862 may be much cheaper and have less capacitance.
The Interfet data sheet is a joke. I did ask for something better but
got no answer.

4. I have fiddled with the BF862 model to make it fit to the XSpice
included in my Altium Designer.
You may use the one from NXP directly.

5. The noise of a JFET depends mostly on its capacitance and gm. More Gm
is better, it is best
at maximum current. That would be Idss. Idss varies all over the place
with JFETs and and with the IF3602
in special. 1:20 has been observed. In an ideal world, gm varies with
the square root of the current, and
the input referred noise voltage varies with the square root of gm, so
the noise gets better with the 4th
root of the current. This is not a strong dependence and a diminuishing
ROI. More transistors at the same
current are better than one, but the input cap is larger. One gets the
full advantage of more transistors
only with n times the current.

6. Given the price of the transistors I won't skimp on a heat sink and
let them sweat a little bit.

7. Using IF3602 instead of IF3601 does not mean that you get matched
pairs in the sense most people
are used to. But probably you won't get opposite outliers. The pairs
cost more than 2 singles, but
are probably more consistent. Because of the 4th root it does not pay to
regulate the bias of the
transistors individually unless you have a truly pathological case.
Singles are easier to cool.

The measured Id vs. Vgs of my first 4 samples is in fet_preamp_notes.pdf.
Somebody has played with my data and extrapolated Idss. I wonder how he
got the table out of the pdf,
enriched it and put it back in again. Some people are real hackers. :-)

8. Don't use more than 3 or 4 Volts of Vdd. It only adds heat and impact
ionization in the channel.
That results in some gate current that hurts you with a 100 Meg bias
resistor, noise-wise.
Avoiding gate current is even more important since it rises steeply with
temperature.

A Cascode is probably a must, alone b/c of the Miller. The feedback to
the sources reduces the
swing at the drain, but with the cascode it works better.

9. The amplifier is AC coupled, but you can easily go down to 100 mHz.
That won't impair your
Leeson plots close to the carrier. Take the dc for quadrature control
from a different cheap
fet op amp. Your mixers may thank you with a longer life.

10. The version with the 20 paralleled op amps is at
< http://www.hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de/downloads/lono.pdf  >
In the same directory there is a .zip file with Gerber files and updated
schematics.

11. some pictures more at
<
https://picasaweb.google.com/103357048842463945642/LowNoisePreamplifiers?authuser=0&feat=directlink

12. I've got first silicon, ehem, FR-4 of my OCXO carrier board and also
20 MTI-260 5 MHz
oscillators, still packaged in 20 gps-less Lucent units. While using
multiple op amps
works so nicely, 16 sloooowly phaselocked MTI-260 that are wilkinson-ed
together should
result in a pretty phase noise plot. Especially now that BVAs are no
longer easily available.
Also, 1 of 16 cannot enforce a sudden phase jump; it would be slowly
corrected back
by its PLL.

If you need Lucent spare parts other than MTI-260s, ask me.

  regards, Gerhard  DK4XP