[time-nuts] OT stuffing boards: was GPS interface/prototyping board

Henry Hallam henry at pericynthion.org
Fri Jun 24 00:55:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Nick Sayer via time-nuts
<time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
> It all sort of depends on what you call “reasonable.” PNP assembly is a bit like PCB fab in that there are rather large set-up costs and the per-unit cost after that is quite low, which favors volume.
>
> Any way you slice it, I’d expect that 10 boards is too small a number for it to be economical. I’ve done 10-20 *panels* of boards at a time with SBA, and that’s worked out ok, but that’s amortizing the cost over a couple hundred units at a time.

Tempo Automation in San Francisco is trying to fill this gap in the
market for prototype quantities of boards.  I used them a couple of
years ago and they did a good job for a good price.  Looking at their
website now (http://www.tempoautomation.com/) it appears they've
expanded into fabbing the board for you as well as assembling it.

Henry