[time-nuts] Need Time Help

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Oct 5 15:19:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, October 5, 2016 6:14 am, Bob Camp wrote:
> If you buy a GPS receiver and get it set up for timing, just use it.
> Then there is no need for NTP at all.

Is there another way to get computer system time set from a GPS receiver
other than NTP?
In the case that the system clock is controlled by GPSDO and the seconds
delineated by PPS, there should be no need for the NTP clock discipline
code, but I am not aware of any way to inform the NTP daemon that no
disciplining is needed.  Presumably the code should determine that
eventually.

In the case that the system clock is free running, the clock discipline is
still needed, but I found a note in one of the NTP documents (that I can
no longer locate at the moment) that stated something to the effect that
NTP did not run well as it could with a single reference, which would seem
to directly affect the case where a GPS receiver is the only reference.
That document had only that short note, no details on why or specifics of
behavior.

--
Chris Caudle