[time-nuts] Need Time Help

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 02:40:26 UTC 2016

There was a time when HAMs where the ones pushing radio technology
forward.  Maybe these guys are doing that and building a digital EME
network on VHF?  We don't know.

We can guess but typically when you start wanting precise time
synchronization it is because of something like TDMA (time division
multiple access) to a shared resource.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Wes <wes at triconet.org> wrote:

> If you are working "real" EME where you, and not a computer plus lookup
> table, are coping the signals, none of these precise timing issues exist.
>
> Wes  N7WS
>

> On 10/5/2016 6:18 AM, Peter Torry via time-nuts wrote:
>
>> I must admit to being rather puzzled at the sub microsecond timing
>> requirement as I use ntp to set the W7 clock in my computer and have not
>> had any issues. In fact less than one second is OK for the usual two minute
>> periods that are required to allow for the Faraday rotation. Although I use
>> a GPSDO for a frequency reference I find JT software reasonably tolerant of
>> frequency.  As I may be missing something I would welcome observations on
>> how important the period timing requirement is, you never know I might get
>> more contacts.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> On 05/10/2016 12:50, Graham / KE9H wrote:
>>
>>> For the group. This ham is trying to work EME. Earth-Moon-Earth
>>> propagation
>>> path. Aka, "moonbounce."
>>>
>>> He is trying to time synchronize a system, where the other station he is
>>> communicating
>>> with can be any other place on the Earth that can also see the Moon.
>>>
>>> So the system time sync is for a little bit tougher case than a local
>>> area
>>> network.
>>>
>>> --- Graham

Chris Albertson