[time-nuts] eLORAN on the air for 30 days

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 25 23:30:44 UTC 2016

Charles,

On 10/26/2016 01:10 AM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Magnus wrote:
>
>> It's interesting in that it's clearly not dead yet, rather the opposite.
>
> No, it's well and truly dead.  Of the people I know on the political and
> regulatory sides, not one thinks there is even the slightest possibility
> of a revival.  The only chance appears to be if, before the final "No"
> is set in stone, GPS suffered an actual (not hypothetical) breakdown and
> people died because the military or first responders couldn't do their
> jobs.
>
> In many ways, it's reminiscent of the LightSquared fiasco, which also
> dragged on and on to its inevitable and universally foreseen (by people
> in the know) conclusion.

You describe why I say it's clearly not dead yet.

The 26th Jan issue made people jump.

There is a raised awareness that signal redundancy needs to be achieved
one way or another. eLoran keeps getting mentioned and is being studies
by some.

I still doubt it will get of the ground again.

If it where available, it would help to serve some use. Won't do all the
things we need.

I hear both sides mumble. The re-investment is where it probably will fail.

Cheers,
Magnus