[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 11 00:25:44 UTC 2017

Hi

Masers pop up in good (as in new or almost so) condition in the $30 to $70K
range from time to time. You *do* need to be a bit lucky, but compared to a decade
long development process … not very lucky. The biggest issue with Masers is that there
isn’t much of a market. They simply are to expensive for what they do. Neat devices
most certainly. I’d love to have several of them. Selling the house to buy several, is not
going to go over well with the rest of the family …..

One point about this that is a bit significant:

I have a pile of stuff. You have a pile of stuff. Others each have their pile of stuff. Doing
a design that works only with my pile is possible. Doing a design that works with my pile
and your pile is unlikely. Doing one that works with all the piles is impossible. If I sit here and
decide that my pile is the only one that matters, I then conclude that others should put a few
(hundred) man-years into making it all work. That’s nonsense. The only rational project that
others will toss in a decade of time to is one where they each get a device as a result. You
can’t do that with my pile / your pile / all the piles. You have to do it with a fairly standardized
design. That means buying (at the very least) kits of parts. Like it or not, the parts kit for a
Rb will be cheaper than the parts kit for any of the other devices…..

Bob