[time-nuts] 10MHz to 25MHz

steve heidmann steveheidmann at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 18:24:50 UTC 2017

WoW . I don't know if I'm the first nut to see this but it was probably our own Jim Lux I just saw on CBS's Innovation Nation

 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 10MHz to 25MHz
 To: time-nuts at febo.com
 Date: Saturday, January 21, 2017, 7:25 AM

 On 1/20/17 7:10 PM, Bob
 Camp wrote:
 > Hi
 >
 > There are several other materials that you
 can make crystal resonators out of that

 are piezo electric. Some of them can give you much higher Q.
 This comes with a whole
 > raft of other
 issues. Langesite is one of the more common materials you
 see people
 > playing with. It is common
 enough that I’ve actually played with it myself.  The
 simple
 >  answer is that when you look
 at cost, Q, and stability (aging, ADEV, temperature) —
 > it is tough to beat quartz. If you have a
 few hundred thousand dollars, you can play
 > with great big chunks of Sapphire. Toss in
 a bit of this and a bit of that and you can get a
 > pretty amazing oscillator. That device may
 (or may not) be < $1,000,000 depending
 > on how you do the accounting and how many
 parts you spread the costs over.

 would not a true time nut grow
 their own sapphire?

 Realistically, isn't it all about the
 crystal lattice.. SiO2 vs Al2O3 vs
 Lanthanum Gallium Silicate vs Lithium
 Niobate

 WHat makes a
 "good" material?  I would think the ability to
 grow a very
 uniform crystal is part of it,
 but are certain crystal forms better than
 others?