[time-nuts] WWVB funding cut (was: Re: NIST FY 2019 Budget Would Eliminate WWV and WWVH)

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 23:17:41 UTC 2018

Cutting WWVB the public has to ask why a NIST Tme and Frequency Division has to exist. Fighting with other countries as to who has the best precise frequency source will not go well with the public when clocks, school zone lights and watches quit working.
Remember what happened in Japan when Fukushima wiped out their LF reference
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 8/20/2018 6:22:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, rnabioullin at gmail.com writes:

 On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ok, if it really does include WWVB, that gets a lot of mom and pop voters angry.
>
> Bob

Not that it'll make a diff, but:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-funding-nist-stations-wwv-wwvh
. At least there's still CHU.

By the way, it shouldn't be too difficult nor costly to launch a
private HF timing service with a format compatible with that of
WWV/CHU (to avoid having to write decoders)---professional commercial
and military (not amateur radio hobbyist stuff) multi-kW MF/HF
transmitters are scrapped all the time, rather than being repurposed
for productive use, and it need not be 24/7 (e.g., an HF timing
service in Russia operates for part of the day). I would've done it,
but I'm focused on microwave instead (I own a microwave transmitter
for interstellar METI use---15 kW output at waveguide flange), and am
relocating out of the US (to Ireland).

GPS, both the space and ground segments, has better be bulletproof (or
rather, antisatellite weapon-, NEMP-, space storm-, jamming-,
spoofing-, and telecommand cracking-proof), and/or eLoran better be
developed and deployed. At least nowadays there exist three
fully-functional constellations of GNSSs of diverse political
ownership, though non-GPS receivers are virtually nonexistent on the
surplus market, and new ones will likely cost a number of k USD.

-Ruslan

--
Ruslan Nabioullin
Wittgenstein Laboratories