[time-nuts] minimalist sine to square

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 21 02:43:34 UTC 2018

An npn emitter follower with collector connected to the 10V supply will produce a 4.2V swing in a 50 ohm load.

However it only works well if reflections from the load are small.

Otherwise, assuming that you want a 0-5V signal at the 50 ohm load  its possible to build a back matched driver using 3 BJTs that will switch 200mA into a 25 ohm load with transition times around 5ns or so. Faster transition times require using transistors  with ft's somewhat greater than 300MHz.

However the 10V rail current increases to 200mA when the output is 5V at the 50 ohm load.

Bruce