[time-nuts] Symmetricom (Datum/Microsemi) CS tubes after storage

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Wed Jun 20 23:32:21 UTC 2018

I recently picked up a used Cs clock (Symmetricom labelled Cs4000).

Sadly, it turns out to have been stored for about a year (at least, a
year since it was last claimed to lock) and doesn't appear to be locking.

I've had it on for about a month now, and ion pump current is still
quite high[1].

Given the unit is now over 10 years since manufacture, with power on
hours of ~5 years I'm guessing this now probably has a dead tube, and
unless I want to spring for a new tube I have a paperweight.

1: Monitor3 display for the unit including the alarm window:
https://julien.studio442.com.au/images/cs4000_monitor3.png
(That's the set that fires after alarms are cleared)