[time-nuts] 1 pps Sync'ing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jun 24 18:27:51 UTC 2018

Hi

You can indeed do this, the question is - do you *really* want to?

Depending a bit on your GPS module, the 1 pps output can jump around a few nanoseconds
on a second to second basis. Keeping the 100 MH edge locked implies modulating the 100 MHz
by at least a few ppb at some rate faster than 1 Hz. That will degrade the phase noise on the
outputs more than a little ….

A deeper issue is that the GPS module really isn’t reporting “GPS time” at the 1 second
level. It’s reporting GPS Time + atmospheric noise. What you would be tracking is more the bounce
in the atmosphere than anything that GPS actually is doing. Something like an L1 / L2 receiver
would help some with this.

Bob