[time-nuts] LEA-6T TCXO measurements

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri May 4 12:56:16 UTC 2018

Hi

Two different meanings of the term sawtooth.

The first plot shows a very normal phase rollover process. That (when incorrectly
unwound) can create errors. In some cases those sorts of errors are inevitable and
it is always wise to see if data “noise” occurs right at a wrap around point.

The other meaning of sawtooth in the case of GPS is rooted in the same process.
The GPS time solution and local time have a pattern very much like the first plot.
As long as it is running as shown in the first plot, it averages out (provided there is
averaging).  The problem comes in when the plot does *not* look like the first graph.
If the TCXO comes to a flat spot on it’s compensation curve, it can “hang out” to one
side of the error band. Instead of a sawtooth you get a curve. That process of staying
to one side of the error band does not average out and you get a bump in the time
record.

If you dig into the archives, there are lots of plots showing typical data.

Bob