[time-nuts] MEMS oscillators

Gary Woods garygarlic at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 22:34:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 08:54:27 +1100, you wrote:

>"An Eidophor was a television projector used to create theater-sized
>images. The name Eidophor is derived from the Greek word-roots ‘eido’
>and ‘phor’ meaning 'image' and 'bearer' (carrier). Its basic technology
>was the use of electrostatic charges to deform an oil surface."

GE had a projector that wrote diffraction patterns on an oil film with
an electron beam and could do color!  The projection tube had a
palladium diaphragm that let hydrogen from the breakdown of the oil
diffuse out. I was trained on its care and feeding, but never went on
one of the few conferences they booked.  Any LCD projector can, of
course outperform that refrigerator-sized box by a LOT.

---