[time-nuts] 10 MHz -> 16 MHz

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 30 20:53:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

There is clearly enough clock chips today that would fit the bill and
probably provide good enough jitter for you to operate it safely.
Look at products like this:
https://www.silabs.com/products/timing/clocks/general-purpose-clock-generators

There is more of them as you look around.

Then, also consider classic mixer-approach, which may be workable or not
for you:

Square the 10 MHz, feed into a tuned tank for 30 MHz, amplify and
square, divide by 5, mix produced 6 MHz with 10 MHz and amplify into a
tuned tank at 16 MHz, buffer and square as needed for output.

However, for the application at hand I would look at the modern clock
generator chips that has come a long way. Their relatively low noise is
due to their GHz CMOS oscillators and relatively quiet dividers. The
setup gives a relatively good flexibility. Fractional divisors has come
a long way to solve more problems. You get more than the real-estate of
one of the surface mounted DBM mixers would provide you. It's when you
want to go to very low noise that you would consider another approach.

Then again, I would enjoy the challenge of the mixer approach. So choose
method based on what is most rewarding, but for simplicity the clock
chips seems like a good go, so there it is more about locating a cheap
board with the right chip on it.

Cheers,
Magnus