[time-nuts] 10 MHz -> 16 MHz

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:20:37 UTC 2018

There's this clock chip that might do it all-in-one. it has a built-in
PLL and several internal dividers for generating clock signals at a
wide range of frequencies. Adafruit has a breakout board for it.
Unfortunately, some people are calling it a DDS even though it's not:
https://www.mouser.com/new/Silicon-Laboratories/silabssi5351/

How about (my original thought, but the above chip may be perfect for
the job) two doublers to generate 40MHz to drive a DDS set to generate
16MHz? This won't EXACTLY be perfect cycle count as 16/40 (or 2/5)
can't be exactly represented in binary, but I calculate that a 32 bit
approximation would lose 1 cycle about every couple of minutes. The
good part is you can calculate exactly how many cycles off you'll be
based on how long it's been running.