[time-nuts] Garmin GPS12XL V3.51

Peter Vince petervince1952 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:09:55 UTC 2019

I dug out my old Garmin GPS-III's (mid 1990's vintage !).  The internal
backup batteries had completely died after many years of non-use, so it
took a while for them to find the satellites, but when they did, they, of
course, came up with an August 1999 date.  A quick "Google" found that
someone is hosting a zipped Windows executable (apparently originally from
Garmin) that you run when the satnav is connected to your PC via a serial
cable, and it corrects whatever internally so that the date is reported
correctly.  Works like an absolute charm!  The program doesn't say it is
specifically for the GPS-III, so it might be using a standard
(undocumented, of course!) message that will work on a whole bunch of
receivers.  Might be worth giving it a try?  See:

     https://sites.google.com/site/gnbaddeley/GpsEow_V1.20_PC_Software.zip

Regards,

     Peter