[time-nuts] Do GPS augmentation services improve 1pps?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 15 16:59:50 UTC 2019

On 4/15/19 4:45 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have never seen any manufacturer recommend SBAS for improved timing. The
> simple answer seems to be that the reference system does not have time sources
> in it and that the software that generates the corrections does not consider time to
> be important.

Indeed - the signals for WAAS, SBAS, etc are just bent piped through a
transponder in GEO. They are formatted in a way that GPS receivers can
easily receive them and decode the messages but I don't think there's
any particular claim to the usability of any observables. (although they
do broadcast a NAV message, so maybe you can.?)

I suppose that, as Bob points out, that it would improve the position
estimate of your receiver, and there might be ionosphere corrections
that a receiver might use.  I don't know enough about the *details* of
the WAAS messages to know.

The ESA navipedia says (in part)

Wide Area Differential (WAD): differential corrections to the existing
GPS and GEO navigation services computed in a wide area to improve
navigation services performance.

Satellite orbit and clock corrections to the existing satellite
navigation services (GPS and GEO), as well as the estimation of errors
associated to satellites (UDRE).
Ionospheric corrections for a given grid of points, as well as the
estimation of errors associated to ionosphere (GIVE).
Tropospheric corrections. Satellite orbit/clock corrections and
ionospheric corrections are dynamically modelled. The SBAS shall
communicate the user the corrections that are available to be used by
the receiver. The information of the models is packed on messages to be
sent to the user. On the other hand, tropospheric corrections are
statically modelled, which means that corrections are tabulated and the
information does not depend on any external behaviour but the user
position (a mean troposphere is assumed). The algorithm for computing
the tropospheric correction is available to the global community
(section A.4.2.4 of MOPS).[7]

https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/The_EGNOS_SBAS_Message_Format_Explained

It looks like the information in the WAAS message might be usable to
improve the timing performance (in particular, the ionospheric
correction grid)

They do provide a nav message so you could use the SBAS satellite in GEO
in your position solution, which implies it should have good timing -
that's an interesting feat, since I'm pretty sure the signal is
generated on the ground, radiated up to the satellite, transformed to a
different frequency, then radiated down to the user.  I suppose all
those delays are measurable and predictable, so it can work.