[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Denny Page denny at cococafe.com
Mon Apr 29 22:36:07 UTC 2019

[Resend—hopefully pics come through this time]

One additional interesting thing which I didn’t anticipate is the effect of moving from multiple (puck) antennas to a single antenna.

The graph below shows the relationship between two LeoNTP units in the local network as perceived by chrony. The system clock is synced to the first LeoNTP unit, and the graph represents chrony’s view of the clock offset for the second LeoNTP unit. Initially, the units were connected to puck antennas that are literally side by side. At approximately 19:15, the units are taken off the puck antennas and connected to the single antenna through the splitter. Other timing units in the local network show a similar result.

I really didn’t expect such a dramatic change.