[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 07:34:44 UTC 2019

Denny,

That is certainly a large difference.  But I'm not clear on one point that
could easily be very important:

Were the two antennas for the separate antenna test indoors, or on the roof?
If indoor, I kind of suspect that the difference might mostly be attributed
to the change in antenna locations more than anything else.  If this is
what's going on, you've made very strong case for outdoor antennas for GPS
timing.

Also, it's possible that the two receivers with their antennas in such close
proximity might have been interfering with each other.

Dana
=====================================

Agreed with Dana's comments on the antennas.  If indoors the signal strength
would be much less.  Did you have a ground plane for the puck antennas?  I
went through a couple of iterations:

  https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/2013-03-31-1226-32-GPS-antenna-farm.jpg

  https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/2019-01-08-1330-23b-GPS-antenna-farm.jpg

and I have a simple outdoor L1 antenna & splitter too.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk