[time-nuts] OCXO pressure sensitivity before TCXO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 4 20:16:48 UTC 2019

Hi

You can run a controlled experiment where you simply change the pressure. Crystals
are indeed pressure sensitive. It’s one of the reasons welded packages became more
popular for OCXO’s ( welded crystal package inside a welded OCXO package means
less pressure change onto the crystal package).

The source of the problem is flexing of the crystal package as pressure changes. That
translates (even with an SC) into a frequency change.

Bob