[time-nuts] OCXO pressure sensitivity before TCXO

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Aug 5 07:05:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 14:22:22 +0000 (UTC)
ew via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Are wee missing something. Reading Bill Slade post and old NASA
> attachments the attached plot to me was an eye opener. Our work
> has always been focused on Rb pressure compensation. Are we
> overlooking something. Has any one done some work on this subject

No, we are not overlooking anything. Pressure sensitivity of
OCXOs has been long known and most manufacturers account for it
in their design. In most cases, the temperature induced instability
is larger than the pressure sensitive effect, together with the
pressure sensitivity measurement and characterisation being
expensive, it does not get mentioned in the datasheets.

But, if you really want to compensate for environmental effects,
then you need to have a quite complex model. This makes it rather
difficult to parametrize, you need measurements over months if not
years. That makes these parameters also quite difficult to use, as
they exhibit memory effects (e.g. hysterisis) and change over time.

If you are interested in this, have a look at the fields of
"System identification." Or, if you want to have it a bit simpler
and more statistical: "Principal Component Analysis"

			Attila Kinali
--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.