[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 06:05:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:14 PM Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:

> Adam Kumiszcza writes:
> > I've made a ca. 10.5 cm metal disc cut from an old car radio chasis and
> put
> > it under my gps antenna. It does not hang now, but lays on the window
> sill,
> > facing up.
>
> That way you changed three variables in one go.  You'd be better off
> changing one single thing each time so you can see what changes cause
> which results. You do have a patch antenna (rectangular flat shape),

not a quadrifilar helix, do you?

It's a normal patch antenna, bought together with gps addon card:
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_65&product_id=67

After all your tips I just checked whether the roof itself blocks the
signal or not. I put the patch antenna together with a metal disk on top of
a high wardrobe, close to ceiling, and I guess it is the best position
here. See attached screenshots.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM David J Taylor via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
> My gut feeling is that is you're seeing just a 1 dB change, it /may/ not
be
> worth bothering with.  On the other hand, don't throw dB away
unnecessarily!
> [..] If you're seeing six,
> say, satellites at a minimum - likely it's good enough.

I didn't have to stick to "good enough", David :)

Unfortunately, I will have to move this ntp server to another location (or
make another one and leave this one here). It will not have access to south
facing window there, only west is possible.

Best regards,
Adam