[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 08:12:39 UTC 2019

From: Adam Kumiszcza
[]
I didn't have to stick to "good enough", David :)

Unfortunately, I will have to move this ntp server to another location (or
make another one and leave this one here). It will not have access to south
facing window there, only west is possible.

Best regards,
Adam
====================================

Adam,

I take more of an engineering approach - stop when it's good enough!  I have
too many other things which interest me (like frequency measurement) to
spend time past when "good enough" for NTP is achieved.  But you might like
to try the Raspberry Pi 4 with a slightly faster CPU, and significantly
better I/O, for enhanced performance.

Particularly as you are using a Raspberry Pi, that's likely to be the
limiting factor, not the number of satellites you can see.  For that reason,
I would suggest that a west-facing window (or outside same) would be fine.
Monitor it occasionally, of course.

However, having three or four stratum-1 NTP servers is a good idea,
particularly when they are such a low cost as the Raspberry Pi solution can
achieve.  The last few Raspberry Pi zero projects I've housed I've
automatically added a Chinese GPS board, so they become stratum-1 NTP locked
rather than relying on LAN or Wi-Fi sync.  With just two, you're never sure
which is right!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu