[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Aug 13 18:10:13 UTC 2019

Adam Kumiszcza writes:
> After all your tips I just checked whether the roof itself blocks the
> signal or not. I put the patch antenna together with a metal disk on top of
> a high wardrobe, close to ceiling, and I guess it is the best position
> here. See attached screenshots.

Good, that looks more sensible.

> Unfortunately, I will have to move this ntp server to another location (or
> make another one and leave this one here). It will not have access to south
> facing window there, only west is possible.

Since the GPS antennas have a built-in LNA, you can extend the cable
quite a bit if you use something that's not too lossy without impacting
the performance much.  The captive cable on these antennas is almost
always the cheapest thing that will work (RG-174 mostly), so I tend to
buy them with the shortest option on offer, then extend with H195 or
LMR400 coax depending on required length and how much space is available
for running the cable.  You need to be careful when specifying the
connectors, the GPS antennas are plain SMA (not RP-SMA) and many of the
cables you'll find are for WLAN extension (which mainly uses RP-SMA).
If you need a pair of extensions, look for twin-coax; you can easily
separate the two individual cables and it's usually cheaper than getting
two single cables of the same make and length.

Your other option is running the rasPi headless from a PoE segment, then
you can move it with the antenna relatively easily.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: