[time-nuts] TAPR TIC Upgrade?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 15 03:49:05 UTC 2019

Well,  I've done that... sort of.   I'm still using the TAPR TICC, but have it connected to a PI-3B / official PI touch screen mounted in the excellent SmartiPi case running Lady Heather.

Heather can configure the TICC and capture TICC data to a file while simultaneously calculating and plotting the data and ADEV/HDEV/MDEV/TDEV/MTIE of both channels (can do 4 channels with two TICCs).   The TICC data can be sent in real-time out a serial or ethernet connection and/or the file can be processed by Timelab or Stable32 or whatever (they do much prettier plots).

The PI3 has no problem doing the processing.  It remains to be seen if the extra speed and memory of a PI4 will be useful.  I've been contemplating doing a front end for the TICC with things like a switchable terminator,  polarity selection, variable threshold,  internal/external reference oscillator selection, etc.