[time-nuts] Lowest Power NTP Server

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:36:15 UTC 2019

Does it need to be actual NTP, or could it use a custom broadcast protocol
for the 'last yards' ?

I'm imagining something that broadcasts a packet subject to the usual
anticollision strategies, then in the next packet it reports how far off it
actually was (like a GPS sawtooth frame).

Some other random thoughts  :

There are some very small and possibly low-power linux boards around. e.g
https://onion.io/store/omega2/

I pinged my laptop over the local (rather outdated but not busy) wifi. Most
of the time I got pings in the range 1-3ms. Occasionally there was a 20, 30
or even 90ms response. There is only a single wireless hop and almost no
contention (maybe a mobile phone idling) : it's wired from desktop to
wireless router. I don't know what causes that but it may be the ESP32 is
not doing much worse than anything else.