[time-nuts] Lowest Power NTP Server

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 2 23:16:20 UTC 2019

Hi

I’m sitting here getting things set up to start digging into the whole wired / wireless / whatever
side of this. The “real” application will be purely WiFi. More or less, the “real” budget is an
equal jitter from the server, the client, and the router. If that all comes in under 10 ms, this
is wonderful. If it comes out to 30 ms 90% of the time that still works.

====

If indeed “something else” turns out to be the answer, going back to the idea of broadcast NTP
would seem to be more attractive than doing something from scratch and plumbing it into a
variety of operating systems.

====

Sitting here right now with a quick lash up on an RPi 4, I’m getting jitter numbers in the single
digit ms range. I need to get a couple of issues worked out on the local lan before I really trust
the data. At the very least it suggests that an RPi 4 client can do pretty well.

Bob