[time-nuts] Synchronization

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Dec 3 06:55:30 UTC 2019

Hi Anton,

 > My question is what good synchronization of a gps clock in Nano seconds?

That's not much to go on; there are so many variables. To start with,
almost any cheap eBay GPS/1PPS receiver these days will give you time to
within a couple 100 ns with no special effort on your part.

If you have a fixed location, a good antenna, a clear view of sky, a
modern GPS receiver with 1PPS output, and have the ability to apply
sawtooth correction in h/w or s/w, then you can probably get within 10
ns. Many commercial and DIY GPSDO are based on this assumption.

Note that this "10 ns" is relative timing. To obtain 10 ns absolute UTC
is much harder because you have to calibrate and compensate for antenna
delay, amplifier delay, cable and connector delay, receiver delay, 1PPS
buffer amplifier, output cable, and edge detection delay, etc. So almost
nobody can do absolute timing on the cheap.

Fortunately for many applications (e.g., GPSDO) it's not necessary
because most of those fixed phase corrections cancel.

Then there's the question if your application is based on a surveyed
fixed location -- if static, or ground mobile, or airborne. Do you have
any size, mass, or power constraints? Do you need a local oscillator /
time base or is this just raw, live 1PPS ticks from the receiver? Do you
need good results now in real-time or can you wait a day or a week to
get better results after some post-processing?

So the rough answer is that these days 100 ns is easy for under $50; 10
ns is possible for under $500; and 1 ns absolute is near impossible
unless you have a lot of development time and money, not to mention
atomic clocks and test equipment to validate that extreme level of
performance. Plus the expense of trip(s) to your national NMI for UTC
calibration at the ns level.

Does that help? If not, can you summarized your technical requirements
in more detail for the group? There are a number of people on the
mailing list who have done recent measurements using the ublox F9-series
receivers and those results should be helpful in your quest.

Precise timing and 3D imaging sounds like an interesting application.
You mention clouds though; do they move fast enough that milliseconds or
nanoseconds matter? Can we see your math? I'm curious but confused. For
example, nanoseconds matter for triangulation of high energy atmospheric
cosmic rays, but I've not heard where nanoseconds matter for photogrammetry.

/tvb