[time-nuts] Trimble Tbolt temperature

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Dec 4 02:03:45 UTC 2019

Most TBolt measure board temperature to about 1/100th C resolution. This
is the correct behavior. Some TBolt report temperatures that seem to
step in 1 C increments, or they report a constant -55 C, or they glitch
once in a while. These are bugs.

You can replace the DS1620 chip if you want. It's perhaps best to locate
the 20-year old version of the chip. There are lots of threads about
this in the archive.

The DS1620, working or not, has no effect on the performance of a
running TBolt. So I've never bothered replacing any of mine. It may have
a slight effect on extended holdover performance. It's a long story and
I'm not sure if anyone has actually verified or quantified this.

Here's additional info about the TBolt & DS1620; it's more complex than
you think:

"Strange temperature peak"
https://lists.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2011-May/039188.html

"Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO Temperature Sensor Details"
http://leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt-1620/

"Dallas state machine glitch"
https://www.digitemp.com/docs/ds1820-report.pdf

/tvb