[time-nuts] measuring currents on USB powered devices

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 12:19:47 UTC 2019

A problem with inline measurement is that a suitable sense resistance for
measuring runtime current (perhaps at a few hundred mA) is not sensitive
enough for standby current (uA), and if chosen as a useful value for
standby current it drops far too much voltage during full power running.

An approach I've used is to bypass the higher resistance with a diode, then
use the measurements from that sense resistor only up to about 0.5V. If
above that value then the voltage over a smaller inline resistor is used
instead (perhaps via a second scope channel or voltmeter). Autoranging
voltmeters won't usually re-range fast enough to give useful measurements
of short on-periods and a scope, despite its low resolution, is often more
appropriate for such transient measurements.

The resulting 0.6 - 0.7V diode drop at higher currents is still too much
loss from a nominal 5V (unless subsequently regulated down to 3V3), but is
within the range that can be compensated by a bench supply's voltage sense
terminals, so a good quality 5V or less can be maintained while still
getting high speed measurements and a wide range of sensitivity, if the
current sense network is placed at the power supply output and the voltage
sense connected at the load.

I'm not sure why the raspberry pi is so intolerant of 5V variation given
that it does regulate down to 3v3 and lower onboard : presumably there is
some part of the system  (other than the USB ports) that requires the full
5V. Perhaps the ethernet controller ?