[time-nuts] Phase Detectors/Mixers for DMTD and PN measurements

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Thu Dec 12 05:53:41 UTC 2019

It seems the mixer noise cannot be ignored.

I wonder then  why nobody  takes the mixer to cross correlation land,
and maybe even the driver amplifier.

The FFT analyzer can do it anyway, a second AF pre amp costs nothing,
and other than that

there are only another mixer and 2 power dividers on the BOM.

In addition, each mixer gets 3 dB less power which helps the survival rate.

One can always crank it up for bragging rights.

Also, high level mixers (type 2 and 3 in [1] ) have resistors in series
to each diode for biasing

so their lower efficiency should not come as a surprise.  And, the
resistors in the ring generate

AF noise. With DC across them also 1/f, esp. for thick film.

The usual 1nV/rt Hz op amps (LT1028, AD797, ADA4898) have the voltage
noise of a 60 Ohm resistor.

That probably brings them to the point of diminishing return.

The diodes in the ring themselves create only half-thermal noise.

Methinks one would be better off with many low level mixers and power
dividers,

adding up the demodulated AF voltages. There is no point in power
matching the AF side.

Maybe for RF with a RC high pass.

SMD Wilkinson dividers are $2.50 or so now from Macom, MCL or Pulse and

low level mixers are also cheap, or even 2 1:4 SMD transformers + diode
ring.

Easily done when one does not have to wind the coils.

When verifying my links below, I stumbled across M9H  for $333.

The price for two of them is the number of the beast.  =8-) )

[1]

<
https://www.jlab.org/uspas11/Reading/RF/Mixers%20-%20phase%20detectors.pdf >

<
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiu8Zi7pa_mAhUKQUEAHb1pAyAQFjAAegQIAxAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rfcafe.com%2Freferences%2Farticles%2Fwj-tech-notes%2Fmixers-theory-technology-p2-v8-3.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3fc3OZgN2H5jzPx6jXDBh9

Also interesting:

<
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFuqCvpq_mAhVTh1wKHcc2ALQQFjAAegQIAxAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fliterature.cdn.keysight.com%2Flitweb%2Fpdf%2F5989-8999EN.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3RFawCNg543QEv1hUsscbY

regards,

Gerhard,  DK4XP