[time-nuts] Using HP5071A with dead tube along with GPS

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 03:13:59 UTC 2019

I can't quite remember who gave me this idea...  but I'm pretty sure he was a member of this mailing list.
I have an HP5071A high performance version with a dead tube.  But rest of the unit, as far as I know, works just fine.  I know it has a PPS INPUT on it.  I also know it has a very good OCXO in that, too.  Would it be possible to steer this OCXO using GPS when Cs tube is completely dead and unlocked?  I do not want to take this apart, just in case nice usable tube lands in my hand in future.
The reason I ask...  I can just do it and see, but I have no way to verify the performance.  I have an old Cs with no characterization, and rest are Rbs and T-bolts.  Seems like what I propose would result in OCXO pulled by two different servos.  (and even if the results were awful, I wouldn't know it)

Happy holidays!