[time-nuts] Using HP5071A with dead tube along with GPS

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Dec 19 08:11:40 UTC 2019

Taka,

Check your inbox from 10/2/2019:

"A fun (and actually very useful) project would be to turn it into a
GPSDO. There are SCPI commands to slew the rate of the internal
synthesizer so you wouldn't even need to remove any parts, break any
wires, or solder anything".

There are copies of the 5071A "Operating and Programming Manual" (p/n
05071-90041) on the web. The SOUR:PTIM:SLEW command lets you set the
phase to within 50 ns. And the SOUR:ROSC:STEER command lets you adjust
the oscillator with 6.4e-15 resolution. Note that is better resolution
than a traditional DAC/EFC-based GPSDO.

All you need is a GPS/1PPS board and a TIC. Would make a fun Arduino
project. In fact, since your Cs tube is dead, take the tube out and
there's plenty of room for the GPS, TIC, and Arduino.

/tvb