[time-nuts] Using HP5071A with dead tube along with GPS

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Dec 19 13:11:14 UTC 2019

Hi

The OCXO in the 5071 is an HP10811 it was selected at the time of manufacture for
good performance. As far as anybody knows that testing was for short term stability.

How well it retains that performance many years later - who knows? Is the original
OCXO in the device - who knows…. Other than a bit better ADEV at 1 second, the
performance of the device may be no better / no worse than what you get on eBay.

Like all “normal” 10811’s they are an open construction and move a bit from humidity
and barometric pressure. How much either issue impacts a GPSDO is open to debate.

Bob