[time-nuts] Using HP5071A with dead tube along with GPS

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 22:56:40 UTC 2019

My experiment is not going well so far.  I have NOT done any tuning.  Just connected 1 pps out from GPS to 1 pps IN on 5071A.  Frequency keeps increasing, which I think is weird.  I thought it might just be unstable without proper parameters, but no.  Over last 24 hours, it kept going up.  I was about to start reading the 5071A manual.  Likely as TVB says, it will likely be needing quite a bit of refining loop parameters.  One unknown is, in this current state (fault), if OCXO is even steerable.  1 pps WAS detected and menu option did tell me so.

I didn't know you can put 5071A in (Cs tube only) STAND-BY mode...  Mine is dead so it's in permanent stand-by.  It's initial boot sequence detects this and shuts it down.

On a slightly different topic, my PRS10 + GPS experiment is working rather well.  I haven't done any tuning and using default for everything.  I'm going to wait about a month before doing so.  Loop constant is 1 day, so it may take quite some time to completely stabilize.
(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG