[time-nuts] Power supply for time source concerns

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Tue Dec 24 03:38:27 UTC 2019

Am 23.12.19 um 22:08 schrieb Charles Steinmetz:

> Of course, the first step in searching is to get the author's name
> right, and I misled you in that regard.  Gerhard's last name is
> "Hoffmann," with two "n"s.  (Sorry, Gerhard!)

Oh, I don't care anymore. A regular expression finds the original
variant, too.  :-)

> As I recall, Gerhard maintains archived photos on one or more of the
> photo-sharing sites.  Hopefully, he will see the thread and post
> further information.

There are these:

<
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103357048842463945642/album/AF1QipP-XB-RhpB7jBFO2E3CPWdmoqs8VhJGXd9_apt6

<
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103357048842463945642/album/AF1QipNilhbbnpm11i4xnlIgrmH6gt_TEYRtCwlIq5Nw

But now that google has bought picasa, it is essentially dead.

< https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/albums/72157662535945536   >

Flickr will soon be dead, too, or at least be very different if I
interpret the recent email of their CEO correctly.

Sooner or later I'll move the stuff to my own web site but I first must
first find the editor again that I did

use to write it. Flickr was not bad to augment usenet discussions with
graphics or to show around the newest

motorcycle photos from Iceland.

< http://www.hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de/downloads/downloads.html >

For real RF / microwave enclosures:
<
http://www.fischerelektronik.de/web_fischer/de_DE/Geh%C3%A4use/M1.11/Geh%C3%A4use%20f%C3%BCr%20die%20HF-Technik/PG/GHFN_E/search.xhtml

<
https://telemeter.info/de/hf-mikrowellentechnik/gehause-und-frasteile/frasgehause

< http://www.schott.com/german/news/press.html?NID=com4541 >

The last one with the hermetic feed throughs is probably slightly over
the top.  :-)

You can get that stuff cheaper on eb**y . There is a lot of "old" cell
phone hardware

available as they constantly switch to new generations. Drop the innards
and keep the

boxes. Nobody needs Wilkinson dividers and amplifiers for the old
frequency bands.

That's how this Wenzel-ish phase noise mix down head was born.

It uses an Interfet IF3602 as input that never met it's specs. Now they have

updated the data sheet instead of cleaning up their process.  :-[

Available at Mouser's @ €65 a pop but no longer interesting.

As a mounting board you can use sth. like this:

<
https://www.reichelt.de/hf-europlatine-epoxyd-verzinnt-160x100mm-re-334lf-p34773.html

The lower side of the board is the usual square pads, the top side has
full copper with just

the boreholes etched free. That makes sure that you have a solid ground
plane and some

shielding.

And then, there are these indispensable Hammond boxes. You cannot easily
access the

bottom side of your board, but otherwise they are fine. I have the habit
that the bottom

side of my boards is ground only, so I don't lose much.

<
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/hammond-manufacturing/1590DD/HM347-ND/270088

I also got hold of these matroschka-style tin boxes for €3 in the local
mart, intended for

xmas presents. For me, it's a triple soft iron shielding. The iron might
be slightly thicker.

But just €3.  Probably made by Chinese children for their European friends.

best regards, Gerhard