[time-nuts] 10MHz, distribution amplifier.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 24 21:22:58 UTC 2019

Hi

Well, given the 10:1 price difference, I’d say it’s safe to guess the 58502A is a bit better
piece of gear. The BG7TL is quite adequate for normal 10 MHz distribution around the
lab / shack. None of these gizmos (including the 58502) are “good enough” if you plan
on direct multiplication to 100 GHz.

If the readout / monitoring / switching on the 58502 is a needed part of the setup then
that’s the one to buy. If normal radios and test gear are what will be driven then it does
not take much to do it. It’s a pretty good bet that the phase noise spec stated on the 58502
is met by the BG7TL, it is not that tight a spec to meet ( = a biased CMOS gate will do the
job quite nicely).

Bob