[time-nuts] Microstepper

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Dec 25 23:25:59 UTC 2019

Hi Dana,

On 2019-12-25 17:14, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> Thanks, Bob, for clarifying what Magnus means by "microstepper".  To me,
> the term has always referred to operation between the discrete steps defined
> by the polepieces and windings.  One can do it (albeit poorly) with many
> stepper
> motors.  There is a class of servo motor in which the designers of the
> magnetics
> went to great lengths to avoid salient poles (think magnetic detent-like
> effects),
> which are meant to operate with I & Q controlled currents.
Well, I was completely in T&F thoughts when doing my posting, and
assumed the term to be understood here for what I intended.

> BTW, the "phase noise" associated with a DDS is not entirely random.  In
> fact
> most is usually from systematic effects and can be eliminated or at least
> dodged
> by restricting one's choice of frequencies.

It is completely systematic. However, for a phase/frequency microstepper
you want the full range of narrow frequency to be directly available,
with high resolution. So, therefore my question to collect input from
others.

Yes, so when phase-noise is not complete crap but somewhat useful, I
would not like to completely ruin it and hence trying to ask for input.
I have an few ideas now that I want to try out.

If I where not so busy cleaning up the lab to make it accessable and
thereby useful, I would throw myself at the task of testing it. Also,
being able to locate where I have the Red Pitaya helps.

Cheers,
Magnus