[time-nuts] 10811 performance

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Dec 27 13:02:48 UTC 2019

Hi Robert,

If your 10811 10 MHz oscillator is off by 0.08 Hz after 20 years it's
equivalent to an average frequency drift rate of only 0.08/1e7/20/365,
or 1e-12/day. If so, you have an absolutely superb 10811; one that's
500x better than spec. Congrats! Don't power it off, don't touch it,
don't move it, don't tilt it, don't sell it.

Still, there are a lot of assumptions here:

- Do you know how closely was it calibrated 20 years ago?
- Did anyone measure it once a month or even once a year since then?
- Do you have reason to believe the frequency drift rate is constant or
predictable?
- What's the environment been like (temperature, humidity, pressure)?
- How much do you trust your cheap China GPSDO?
- What does your 53131A counter say over gate times of 10 s or 100 s,
and over an entire day or week?
- Was this a one-time lucky measurement or is your 10811 really this
good day after day after day.

Lots of questions. What I mean is that you may have one of the best
10811 ever seen, or something's funny with the above assumptions. The
nice thing about a precise time & frequency hobby is that, without too
much effort, you can figure this out.

Still, 0.08 Hz out of 10 MHz is 1e-8, or 0.01 ppm, or 10 ppb, so
depending on the accuracy that you need for the amateur radio club, it
may be plenty good enough as-is.

/tvb