[time-nuts] 60 Hz frequency and phase measurement

Andy Backus andrewbackus at msn.com
Thu Jul 4 03:30:56 UTC 2019

For anyone interested, here are the data from the Western Interconnection for June, 2019.  These are essentially the integral of frequency deviations (from 60.00000 Hz) wrt time.  That's the TE, for those in the business.  It is a zipped file.  When uncrunched (WinZip works) it will give a file suitable for Excel (you might have to rename the extension) -- that is 4 MB.

Col A
year in two digits (UTC)

Col B
day of the year (UTC)

Col C
hour (UTC)

Col D
minute (UTC)

Col E
second (UTC)

Col F
Time Error in cycles (wrt industry zero)

Col G
delta phase in % of a cycle from the UTC second (higher = grid upward zero crossing sooner before second)

Col H
TE calculated with whole cycles only

Col I
time in hours since row one (00:00:00 on June 1, 2019 UTC)

Col J
TE calculated including partial cycle

Graph = TE vs hours

Andy Backus
Bellingham, WA

BTW -- I have comparable data for every UTC minute over the last the two years
Also -- tnx to Tom vb for crunching my Excel file