[time-nuts] Overseas buying?

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 19:05:07 UTC 2019

USE DHLBert Kehren
In a message dated 7/4/2019 3:00:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, James.Schatzman at ac0xu.com writes:

Anyone have suggestions about how to buy equipment from out of the country without getting US Customs delays?  I have the impression that precision timing devices are on some kind of US list of sensitive technologies, but Customs seems to also be concerned about importing such items.
I recently purchased an Oscilloquartz OCXO from a seller in France and FEDEX delayed delivering the item, requesting documentation about the item and about the purchaser (me) over and over again. I found FEDEX's communications to be atrocious - 7 different FEDEX people wanted me to email them information, and they kept asking me to email documents to paperwork at fedex.com, which bounced everything I sent it. For a few days, it looked like FEDEX was going to return the package, because they kept complaining that I wasn't responding to their requests for more information. Emails to them bounced. My phone calls to them went unanswered. Eventually FEDEX did release the package but it took over a week.
This was a frustrating experience and I am wondering what I should advise sellers in the future about how to document items so as to get through US Customs more smoothly. Any suggestions?
Thanks! Jim